LMC workday to finalize group presentations
Wrap up death penalty work with the Senate hearing. How can you pass legislation that satisfies a range of constituents?
Wednesday & Thursday
Group presentations: Drinking Age, Drug Legalization, PEDs in Sports
Frontline: The Meth Epidemic
Meth situation in Wisconsin
1. Arguments in favor of the death penalty from the book
Debating the Death Penalty: Should America Have Capital Punishment? The Experts on Both Sides Make Their Case; Hugo Adam Bedau (Editor), Paul G. Cassell (Editor)
effective representation | just punishment | logical support for deterrence | firsthand reports | racism |
2. Gallery walk for our marriage posters.
3. How reliable are eyewitnesses? (60 minutes) This is the part 2 of the story that looks at why eyewitness testimony is not reliable.
As time permits…Listen/read one of the oral arguments from one of these SCOTUS cases. What are the disagreements about specifically when it comes to processing capital punishment cases?
Use the West High access to Lexis-Nexis in our LMC to select your group’s readings. (if this link doesn’t work, choose Lexis-Nexis from the LMC page and navigate to your topic)
1. Drinking Age
2. Legalization of Marijuana
3. Drug Use in Sports
1. Living Room Conversations: finding common ground
2. Writing a death penalty bill for Wisconsin.
Senate hearing to try to pass legislation on the death penalty for Wisconsin.
1. Death Penalty Sort.
2. What questions do we want to look into? What terms are important?
Tuesday & Wednesday: LMC Days:
1. Preliminary vocabulary:
2. Imminent death penalty issues (npr.org). Contrast this with the BBC perspective on the issue.
3. Individual State data
4. What are the issues surrounding the death penalty? You will be assigned ONE of these to research in detail. Be prepared to be the resident expert on your topic. Collect data, statistics, quotes, cases, statutes, etc. associated with your issue.
5. Listen to at least one of these songs about the death penalty in its entirety. How do the lyrics address the death penalty? Write down two lines from the songs giving an indication as to the opinion the artist is trying to get across.
6. What are the pro-con arguments for the death penalty? Here is another pro site and here is another con site.
7. Other topics we asked about in class on Monday
Discuss the research found during the LMC background work.
Listen to George Ryan’s 2003 commutation speech.
Current Events roundtable
- Finish current events and Deadline documentary.
- How reliable are eyewitnesses? (60 minutes) This is the part 2 of the story that looks at why eyewitness testimony is not reliable.