1. Death Penalty Sort.
2. What questions do we want to look into? What terms are important?
Tuesday & Wednesday: LMC Days:
1. Preliminary vocabulary:
3. Individual State data
- Here is the map indicating which states allow the death penalty.
- Capital crimes by states
- What are the aggravating factors for different states? What are the mitigating factors for different states?
- What are the murder rates for states?
- Number of executions (check the race data as well)
4. What are the issues surrounding the death penalty? You will be assigned ONE of these to research in detail. Be prepared to be the resident expert on your topic. Collect data, statistics, quotes, cases, statutes, etc. associated with your issue.
- federal death penalty
- foreign nationals
- intellectual disability
- life without parole
- mental illness
- Native Americans
- US military
- lethal injection
5. Listen to at least one of these songs about the death penalty in its entirety. How do the lyrics address the death penalty? Write down two lines from the songs giving an indication as to the opinion the artist is trying to get across.
7. Other topics we asked about in class on Monday
- demographics of those on death row
- historical executions
- juveniles and the death penalty
- federal capital crimes
Discuss the research found during the LMC background work.
Listen to George Ryan’s 2003 commutation speech.
Current Events roundtable