Missouri Alone in Resisting Prescription Drug Database
JULY 20, 2014 (nytimes.com)
1. What is “Social?” Why should we care about social issues? Who are we caring about?
2. What is a Social Issue?
1. Sustained growth in these 4 areas:
We will be recording individual monologues that document these areas.
2. My path to discussion & social Issues
a. Describe a perfect day outside of school.
b. Describe your past experience in social studies classes. What has been a thrill? a challenge? engaging?
c. How can I help you grow as a learner?
d. Explain your own experience with discussions and public speaking?
e. How do you approach controversy in your life with friends? With family?
3. Common Ground. Where is our group at with respect to speaking and controversy as we begin our semester? (Venn diagram.) How are your ideas about argument and common ground similar to or different from those of your classmates?
1. What is MMSD Board policy on studying controversial issues?
2. Anti-War teach-in Squashed Madison Capital Times, December 3, 2002.