1. Jigsaw what state-level initiatives have been surrounding marriage.
2. Read 2 the following articles surrounding marriage equality:
- How the “Responsible Procreation Argument…”
- The Future of Marriage: Why the Inevitable is Not…
- Gay Couples Choosing not to Marry
- Behind Gay Marriage Momentum, Regional Gaps Persist
We’ll have a discussion on these articles on Friday.
Gay-Straight Alliance presentation
2. Supreme Court cases
- Loving v Virginia 40 years later (Read/listen to the oral argument in the case)
- What are the Landmark cases surrounding same sex marriage?
- Supreme Court cases : Windsor and Perry
- Gay Marriage in law and pop culture;
3. Look through the Pew Research group’s data on attitudes towards same-sex marriage.
Which groups have changed most significantly? Which groups have changed least?
Current Events—really current!! Add these stories to your perspectives data-table.
- Illinois passes marriage equality bill
- Employment Non-discrimination Act (ENDA) is a bill that would prohibit discrimination in the workplace on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.
What are the state and federal benefits given to married couples?
- Federal benefits for marital couples;
- Getting federal benefits to gay couples;
- Fact sheets-practical benefits
How does learning multiple perspectives influence your own? Line-up discussion. (1 on 1)
“It Gets Better” by the Pixar employees
Family Research Institute of Wisconsin video, 2005 (on DVD)
- current flier from the Wisconsin Family Council
Visual Representation of Same-sex marriage perspectives